Dumb and Fat Games
Based in Vancouver, Canada
Wandersong takes you on a whimsical, musical journey across the globe. Eons ago, the goddess Eya put the universe into motion with her music--now, as she does every epoch or so, she's going to sing a new song and reset existence. You play as a lowly bard tasked with finding the pieces of a mysterious melody called the Earthsong, which is said to be able to preserve the planet. Use your singing to help characters, solve puzzles, and save the world!
Wandersong was first made by Greg Lobanov, inspired by his 5,000 mile bike ride across the United States, and went into development in October 2015. After a successful Kickstarter in February 2016, he brought on sound designer Em Halberstadt (known now for her exceptional work on Night in the Woods) and musician Gordon McGladdery (A Shell in the Pit, known for music in games such as Rogue Legacy, Viking Squad, Bunket Punks, etc). The game is made in Gamemaker: Studio, software that Greg first learned to make games in about a decade ago, but expanded with a wide array of in-house dev tools including a shape-and-color based level editor and fairly advanced audio editor. They're currently aiming to release the game in early 2018.
- Use singing to interact with the world!
- Tons of characters to meet and discover!
- Tons of characters to annoy with your singing!
- An epic journey across a rainbow colored planet
Nintendo Switch Trailer YouTube
Year One Trailer YouTube
Kickstarter Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "PAX 10 Official Selection" Penny Arcade Expo 2017
- "Day of the Devs Official Selection" Day of the Devs 2017
- "Fantastic Arcade Official Selection" Fantastic Arcade 2017
- "The MIX at PAX Official Selection" Penny Arcade Expo 2017
- "Indie MEGABOOTH Official Selection" Penny Arcade Expo 2016
- "The MIX at GDC Official Selection" Game Developer's Conference 2016
- "Wandersong looks so good that I started crying while watching the demo. It's that good... Gorgeous visuals are buoyed by a fantastic soundtrack and vocal work, making this an easy standout of PAX, and my personal favorite game I saw all weekend."
- Dante Douglas, Paste Magazine
- "What I was struck the most by - other than the happy paper cutout visuals - was how funny Wandersong was. It's got a strong personality and goofy vibe a la Undertale that seems well-suited for Switch."
- Allegra Frank, Polygon
- "[One] of the most eye-catching and engaging indie video games from this year's PAX West to put on your radar when you're looking for a new gameplay experience or the next great game to play..."
- Kelly Knox, Geek and Sundry
- "The video game world needs this... The Katamari Damacy series, Parappa the Rappa, Jet Set Radio. From what I've experienced, and after meeting the man behind it all, I put Wandersong on track to be right up there with some of my all time favorites.
- Chris Emory, Unique Drops
- "I found myself alight, warmed by the game's ebullience and heart. From the sharp, sardonic dialogue to the game's dotingly crafted paper collage aesthetic, Lobanov seems to have taken great care in making his game a place you go, not just a thing you do."
- Eli Cymet, ookpixels
- "It's a very inventive looking gameplay mechanic and I'm a little shocked that we haven't seen it done before in the way it's depicted in the game"
- William Usher, CinemaBlend
- "Occasionally, a project appears on Kickstarter that is just so wonderfully new and creative that you want to give the developer your entire savings"
- Andrew Rainnie, Warp Zoned
About Dumb and Fat Games
Dumb and Fat Games is the megacoporation representing the myriad works of a Mr. Greg Lobanov. Most of our games can be described as whimsical, colorful and tending towards larger story adventures. They are all made in Game Maker.
More information on Dumb and Fat Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.